C5 jump certified ?
M***@hotmail.com
2009-12-04 06:29:07 UTC
The C5 - was it able to drop paratroops and did it ever do so ?

The Starlifter was designed to take paratroops.

Did this ever happen ?

In combat ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Taxi
Matt Wiser
2009-12-04 07:51:12 UTC
C-141s did drop paratroopers, both in exercises and in combat: see the JUST
CAUSE jumps by both Rangers and 82nd Airborne in Dec '89. The planned
division-sized jump into Haiti in 1994 would've had C-141s alongside C-130s.
(the Haiti jump would've been the largest combat jump since MARKET-GARDEN in
1944-two Ranger Battalions and the entire 82nd Airborne Division)
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 19:53:03 UTC
Iwas on the jump in 88 _89 when we dropped a duece and a half and hummer plus a couple other vehicles I believe.It was ,long ago.we sat upstairs in airline seats. After dropping the vehicles out the back we did a racetrack and jumped out the side doors.I was a stickpusher and hurt between my legs and got a bloody mouth.my suspension lines were twisted to the top and I recommended to the general that we should jump at a higher altitude.the plane had to speed up because they have to fly slow enough to jump.I happened to catch full thrust on exit when they lost altitude.Not fun.
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 19:57:18 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 19:57:20 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 19:57:22 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 19:57:23 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 19:57:24 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 22:23:27 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 22:23:27 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 22:23:28 UTC
g***@gmail.com
2015-04-25 22:23:28 UTC
frank
2009-12-04 09:01:51 UTC
Post by M***@hotmail.com
The C5 - was it able to drop paratroops and did it ever do so ?
The Starlifter was designed to take paratroops.
Did this ever happen ?
In combat ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Taxi
Yes, so is the C-17 though its more useful as a cargo hauler. Airborne
do like having some decent tanks running around when they go out and
play. Flying an M1A1 in is a big deal rather than shipping it on a
Panama flagged ship. (remember the old 'you want that when' cartoon
that was around all the USAF data shops in the 80s).

Note how the Airborne guys do look for airfields to secure.
John Szalay
2009-12-04 13:54:48 UTC
Post by M***@hotmail.com
The C5 - was it able to drop paratroops and did it ever do so ?
The Starlifter was designed to take paratroops.
Did this ever happen ?
In combat ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Taxi
C-5 history:
May 6, 1973 A C-5A returned to Edwards AFB, Calif., after a 15,000-mile
flight that included a low-altitude cargo drop by parachute and an in-
flight refueling.

Jun 7, 1989 A C-5 set a world record by airdropping four Sheridan armed
reconnaissance vehicles, weighing 42,000 pounds each, and 73 fully combat-
equipped paratroopers. The total weight reached 190,346 pounds.

As for the C-141, Yes it was paratroop certified
I've got 3 C-141 parachute jumps on my logbook from the 1966-67 time
period.
MajorOz
2009-12-05 05:14:05 UTC
Post by John Szalay
Post by M***@hotmail.com
The C5 - was it able to drop paratroops and did it ever do so ?
The Starlifter was designed to take paratroops.
Did this ever happen ?
In combat ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Taxi
May 6, 1973 A C-5A returned to Edwards AFB, Calif., after a 15,000-mile
flight that included a low-altitude cargo drop by parachute and an in-
flight refueling.
Jun 7, 1989 A C-5 set a world record by airdropping four Sheridan armed
reconnaissance vehicles, weighing 42,000 pounds each, and 73 fully combat-
equipped paratroopers. The total weight reached 190,346 pounds.
As for the C-141, Yes it was paratroop certified
I've got 3 C-141 parachute jumps on my logbook from the 1966-67 time
period.
The original idea was that the C-5 could drop a big bunch of troops
AND all their equipment. We used to put out static displays of the
package loads at Edwards open house weekends. The troops would be on
the second deck and the cargo below.
After the fiasco wherein all the kids got killed by the alleged
failure of the rear doors during an evac from VN, the doors were,
operationally, welded shut. That pretty much put the skids to any
cargo drops, making the C-5 a big flying truck with ONLY a front end
entry.

Don't know what enabled the doors to be used again for the 1989 drop
cited. That was long after I left the program. How did they get
around the bad press (the mechanicals were never really a problem),
allowing them to resume ?

cheers

oz, the guy who co-signed the paper accepting the C-5A
John Szalay
2009-12-05 17:58:15 UTC
Post by MajorOz
innews:gtahh5
Post by M***@hotmail.com
The C5 - was it able to drop paratroops and did it ever do so ?
The Starlifter was designed to take paratroops.
Did this ever happen ?
In combat ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Taxi
After the fiasco wherein all the kids got killed by the alleged
failure of the rear doors during an evac from VN, the doors were,
operationally, welded shut. That pretty much put the skids to any
cargo drops, making the C-5 a big flying truck with ONLY a front end
entry.
Don't know what enabled the doors to be used again for the 1989 drop
cited. That was long after I left the program. How did they get
around the bad press (the mechanicals were never really a problem),
allowing them to resume ?
cheers
oz, the guy who co-signed the paper accepting the C-5A
Who knows, but they are airdrop rated again..
althou, I myself would think twice before putting myself aboard
such a huge slow target on approach to a DZ. (course I'm way too
old to be doing that sort of thing again..)

also
They are continuing to upgrade the C-5, latest is the C-5M
with new engines and Avionics

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/DRArchive/Pages/2008/December%
202008/December%2010%202008/FirstSuperGalaxyDelivered.aspx
tankfixer
2009-12-06 03:28:34 UTC
In article <48f7d436-fc57-4a4f-855a-
***@o10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, ***@centurytel.net
says...
Post by MajorOz
After the fiasco wherein all the kids got killed by the alleged
failure of the rear doors during an evac from VN, the doors were,
operationally, welded shut. That pretty much put the skids to any
cargo drops, making the C-5 a big flying truck with ONLY a front end
entry.
I hope you don't mean the welded up the rear cargo doors...
Becasue I've loaded vehicles through them...in the 1980's
John Szalay
2009-12-06 12:55:01 UTC
Post by MajorOz
After the fiasco wherein all the kids got killed by the alleged
failure of the rear doors during an evac from VN, the doors were,
operationally, welded shut. That pretty much put the skids to any
cargo drops, making the C-5 a big flying truck with ONLY a front end
entry.
I hope you don't mean the welded up the rear cargo doors...
Becasue I've loaded vehicles through them...in the 1980's
I was wondering about that statement too, I remember walking through a C-5
with the kids at the Dayton Air show in the late 80's. in the front ramp
and out the back. lots of folks took shelter from a thunder storm in the
bird during the flying section of the day.
Typhoon502
2009-12-06 15:36:53 UTC
Post by MajorOz
After the fiasco wherein all the kids got killed by the alleged
failure of the rear doors during an evac from VN, the doors were,
operationally, welded shut.  That pretty much put the skids to any
cargo drops, making the C-5 a big flying truck with ONLY a front end
entry.
I hope you don't mean the welded up the rear cargo doors...
Becasue I've loaded vehicles through them...in the 1980's
I was wondering about that statement too, I remember walking through a C-5
with the kids at the Dayton Air show in the late 80's. in the front ramp
and out the back.  lots of folks took shelter from a thunder storm in the
bird during the flying section of the day.
"Operationally" welded shut...maybe meaning the ops manual forbade the
doors from being unlocked and openable while airborne? I've never
heard of C-5s not being able to use the rears for load/unload.
tankfixer
2009-12-06 17:08:33 UTC
In article <ff84ce26-6600-4422-b6d0-6267e95ccc07
@n13g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>, ***@gmail.com says...
Post by Typhoon502
Post by MajorOz
[...]
Were thre doors that exited the upper passenger section ?
I don't know, all we did was load 2 1/2 tons and 5 tons and HMVEE's in a
practice exercise.

That rear ramp could use some texture so one doesn't stall trying to
climb it... ;')
John Szalay
2009-12-06 18:31:59 UTC
Post by tankfixer
Were thre doors that exited the upper passenger section ?
I don't know, all we did was load 2 1/2 tons and 5 tons and HMVEE's in
a practice exercise.
IIRC:
there were emergency doors with escape slides on the upper deck.
access to the upper levels was by interior folding ladder.
think there were two, one forward and one aft.

I remember on the C-124 when we used the upper deck for troops
it was a real bitch to get downstairs wearing full gear..
troops with PAE bags and rucksacks were always on the main deck.
tankfixer
2009-12-06 22:25:54 UTC
Post by John Szalay
Post by tankfixer
Were thre doors that exited the upper passenger section ?
I don't know, all we did was load 2 1/2 tons and 5 tons and HMVEE's in
a practice exercise.
there were emergency doors with escape slides on the upper deck.
access to the upper levels was by interior folding ladder.
think there were two, one forward and one aft.
I saw the ladders and the crew cheif briefed us on that part. I think a
few did go up just to see..
MajorOz
2009-12-07 01:59:00 UTC
Post by Typhoon502
Post by MajorOz
[...]
Stairs / ladder front and rear. The fore and aft sections of the
upper deck were NOT connected. If the a/b troops rode above, they had
to come below and rig up before jumping. There was seating for 120
troops, two galleys, and four heads in the aft upper compartment (plus
a hayloft the size of a basketball court). Forward was a six bunk
room, two conference "booths" and I forget how much airline seating,
along with heads, galleys, etc. Comfortable travel.

Cargo volume for 140 VW bugs.

The 141 jocks had to get used to thump, thump, thump on landing,
rather than thump, thump. Caused a few comical moments.

cheers

oz, yes the "welded" term was a figure of speech.
john szalay
C-141, got 4 jumps from the Starlizard in my logbook..
e***@gmail.com
2017-07-24 15:46:09 UTC
I jumped out of a c5 once in the ranger bat, in 2000, we were told we were the first large group to try it.
a425couple
2017-07-25 13:41:14 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
I jumped out of a c5 once in the ranger bat, in 2000, we were told
we were the first large group to try it.
Interesting.

Images for c 5 galaxy airborne jump

C5 jump certified ? - Google Groups
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rec.aviation.military/bWAJQ4YfyqU
Dec 3, 2009 - The C5 - was it able to drop paratroops and did it ever do
so ? ... flight that included a low-altitude cargo drop by parachute and
an in-

US Air Force C-130 parachute jump , C-5 , F-15E Take off at Robins ...
Video for C-5 & parachutes▶ 2:07

Apr 20, 2013 - Uploaded by Tonkatsu298
US Air Force C-130 parachute jump , C-5 , F-15E Take off at Robins ARB.

Lockheed C-5B Galaxy World Record Heavy Airdrop - YouTube
Video for C-5 & parachutes▶ 1:27

Aug 21, 2008 - Uploaded by jaglavaksoldier
A C-5B set a new airdrop record of 190493 (86406kg) pounds. ... believe
that it's not possible to safely land a ...

C-5 Boat Drop (MCADs) - YouTube
Video for C-5 & parachutes▶ 3:28

Apr 12, 2012 - Uploaded by sterlingpro
USAF Special Operations - Boat Airdrop from the Sky (Maritime Craft
Aerial Delivery Systems) - Duration: 1:32 ...
a***@gmail.com
2017-09-18 01:11:27 UTC
Yes, I jumped from a C-5B experiment when stationed on Ft. Bragg in 1989.