all aluminum aircraft engine in russia
patrick
2018-01-28 22:49:44 UTC
I read on a defence news website that a tech university in Russia has developed an all aluminum AC engine (crankshaft too!). Supposed to be the first one ever. Anyone have knowledge of other attempts of a non ferrous based component engine? Supposed to be used on a yak 52 trainer which has a 9cyl radial. Ther's no mention of the layout for the new engine but a pic on one website shows what might be a radial with prop attached in a test cell. I though alum was fatigue prone... Regards, Pat
David E. Powell
2018-01-30 02:46:58 UTC
Post by patrick
I read on a defence news website that a tech university in Russia has developed an all aluminum AC engine (crankshaft too!). Supposed to be the first one ever. Anyone have knowledge of other attempts of a non ferrous based component engine? Supposed to be used on a yak 52 trainer which has a 9cyl radial. Ther's no mention of the layout for the new engine but a pic on one website shows what might be a radial with prop attached in a test cell. I though alum was fatigue prone... Regards, Pat
The only thing I can think of is that the Russians are using alloys developed for car engines over the years. More car engines these days are being made with aluminum parts.

I wonder if the Russian engine will use steel liners for their combustion chambers? Some car engines do.

Pretty neat advance, it might breathe some new life into the piston area of aviation.
Jim Wilkins
2018-01-30 03:14:25 UTC
Post by patrick
[...]

=========

Liners aren't necessary. The aluminum casting alloy contains a
significant percentage of silicon which gives a hard wear surface.

I'd like to know which alloy they used for the crank. Aluminum has 1/3
the density of steel and also only 1/3 the strength and stiffness, and
its high strength alloys crack more easily.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/aluminum-crankshaft-120596.html

-jsw
Phil Kangas
2018-02-02 16:27:16 UTC
On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 5:49:46 PM UTC-5, patrick
Post by patrick
[...]
The cylinders are most likely plated with nika-sil like in
snowmobile
engines.
-jsw
Daryl
2018-02-02 17:16:37 UTC
Post by David E. Powell
Post by patrick
[...]
I read somewhere that there was a breakthru in Aluminum recently. I
don't recall exactly what it said but it said the Aluminum product was
as strong as tempered steel. Since the US has it there is no reason not
to believe that Russia has it as well.
Post by David E. Powell
I'd like to know which alloy they used for the crank. Aluminum has 1/3
the density of steel and also only 1/3 the strength and stiffness, and
its high strength alloys crack more easily.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/aluminum-crankshaft-120596.html
-jsw
---
http://www.avg.com