a400m in southern california?
patrick
2019-10-08 22:20:18 UTC
About 310pm pst , while sitting in the backyard (binoculars at the ready) an unfamiliar sound filled the air. Combo if a high pitch plus big base. The outline in the hazy skies resolved into a high wing (slightly swept), t-tailed 4 engine a/c headed north east from long beach, cal. Nothing on flight aware and not on flight radar . Sure wan't any US of aye standard stock ac. Some joint exercises? Lat time I had a different sounfd get my attention twas a volga dneiper IL-76 out of LAX. That was shown on flightradar... Thoughts?
Regards, Pat
Ramsman
2019-10-09 06:54:31 UTC
Post by patrick
About 310pm pst , while sitting in the backyard (binoculars at the ready) an unfamiliar sound filled the air. Combo if a high pitch plus big base. The outline in the hazy skies resolved into a high wing (slightly swept), t-tailed 4 engine a/c headed north east from long beach, cal. Nothing on flight aware and not on flight radar . Sure wan't any US of aye standard stock ac. Some joint exercises? Lat time I had a different sounfd get my attention twas a volga dneiper IL-76 out of LAX. That was shown on flightradar... Thoughts?
Regards, Pat
It was probably from the Royal Air Force. The Red Arrows are touring
North America at the nmoment and their support aircraft is an A400M.

Unfortunately you've missed seeing them display, as tht tour has now
finished.
https://www.raf.mod.uk/display-teams/red-arrows/us-canada/
--
Peter
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2019-10-09 09:53:48 UTC
Sounds like you were the one doing them "joint exercises."
a425couple
2019-10-09 15:51:34 UTC
Post by patrick
About 310pm pst , while sitting in the backyard (binoculars at the ready) an unfamiliar sound filled the air. Combo if a high pitch plus big base. The outline in the hazy skies resolved into a high wing (slightly swept), t-tailed 4 engine a/c headed north east from long beach, cal. Nothing on flight aware and not on flight radar . Sure wan't any US of aye standard stock ac. Some joint exercises? Lat time I had a different sounfd get my attention twas a volga dneiper IL-76 out of LAX. That was shown on flightradar... Thoughts?
Regards, Pat
Some thoughts =
I live north of Seattle, about 5 miles from Paine Airport
near it's flight path,
KPAE - Snohomish County Airport (Paine Field)
Huge Boeing plant there.

We see plenty of flights from the big Dreamlifter,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Dreamlifter
and also the huge Russian cargo carriers.
Antonov An-124 &
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_large_aircraft

some sources I use are:
flightradar24 &
https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KPAE

They show and identify on the map, the vast majority
of planes - scheduled, & private, & leisure flights.

Fairly often I have seen what I thought was a
military plane, and it has not shown up!
Also one time a B-17 was in for a show,
and it did not show up.
I do not know what the reasons are.
a425couple
2019-10-09 23:43:20 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by patrick
[...]
This clarifies one aspect I thought:

"Blocking
For security and privacy reasons information about some aircraft
is limited or blocked. This includes most military aircraft and
certain high profile aircraft, like Air Force One."

and

"Aircraft visible on Flightradar24 (within ADS-B coverage)
When ADS-B was initially launched, it was primarily used in
commercial passenger aircraft with 100+ passengers. An increasing
number of aircraft including smaller aircraft types, are
getting ADS-B transponders but, until ADS-B becomes mandatory
it's up to the aircraft producer and owner to decide if an
ADS-B transponder should be installed or not."

So, it sounds like the WWII era aircraft I've seen
just do not have these transponders.

from
https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works
Jim Wilkins
2019-10-09 23:57:07 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by a425couple
Post by patrick
[...]
The correct WW2 radar transponders were much simpler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFF_Mark_III
patrick
2019-10-10 13:08:17 UTC
Speaking of visibilty of ww2 era ac on flightradar- a p51 often flies from the ventura county to some airstrip of the south orange county area, the sound of a merlin at 5 thousand feet or so is unmistakable at cruise. And it does show on flightradar, as does a hawker hunter performing some military mission off ventura county to channel island further to the south. Haven't seen it but a fast mover flying a course that doesn't conform to commercial flight sticks out. Regards, Pat
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2019-10-10 19:51:18 UTC
Post by patrick
Speaking of visibilty of ww2 era ac on flightradar- a p51 often flies from the ventura county to some airstrip of the south orange county area, the sound of a merlin at 5 thousand feet or so is unmistakable at cruise. And it does show on flightradar, as does a hawker hunter performing some military mission off ventura county to channel island further to the south. Haven't seen it but a fast mover flying a course that doesn't conform to commercial flight sticks out. Regards, Pat
What's that sticking out, Pat?