a Quora - US warn Japan that they would bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki
2020-11-19 16:35:57 UTC
KS
Former Submarine Officer / Strike Warfare Officer at United States Navy
(USN)
Did the US warn Japan that they would bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Yes.

Prior to Hiroshima ( Aug 1), the US dropped the Lemay leaflet to many
cities. Japanese historians note that the short list of target cities
are not listed on the front of the Lemay leaflet.

LeMay leaflets

Read this carefully as it may save your life or the life of a relative
or friend. In the next few days, some or all of the cities named on the
reverse side will be destroyed by American bombs. These cities contain
military installations and workshops or factories which produce military
goods. We are determined to destroy all of the tools of the military
clique which they are using to prolong this useless war. But,
unfortunately, bombs have no eyes. So, in accordance with America's
humanitarian policies, the American Air Force, which does not wish to
injure innocent people, now gives you warning to evacuate the cities
named and save your lives. America is not fighting the Japanese people
but is fighting the military clique which has enslaved the Japanese
people. The peace which America will bring will free the people from the
oppression of the military clique and mean the emergence of a new and
better Japan. You can restore peace by demanding new and good leaders
who will end the war. We cannot promise that only these cities will be
among those attacked but some or all of them will be, so heed this
warning and evacuate these cities immediately.

Front: this photo and names of target cites

After the first bombing they dropped the Hiroshima leaflet:

text: TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE:

America asks that you take immediate heed of what we say on this leaflet.

We are in possession of the most destructive explosive ever devised by
man. A single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the
equivalent in explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29s can carry
on a single mission. This awful fact is one for you to ponder and we
solemnly assure you it is grimly accurate.

We have just begun to use this weapon against your homeland. If you
still have any doubt, make inquiry as to what happened to Hiroshima when
just one atomic bomb fell on that city.

Before using this bomb to destroy every resource of the military by
which they are prolonging this useless war, we ask that you now petition
the Emperor to end the war. Our president has outlined for you the
thirteen consequences of an honorable surrender. We urge that you accept
these consequences and begin the work of building a new, better and
peace-loving Japan.

You should take steps now to cease military resistance. Otherwise, we
shall resolutely employ this bomb and all our other superior weapons to
promptly and forcefully end the war.

EVACUATE YOUR CITIES.

ATTENTION JAPANESE PEOPLE. EVACUATE YOUR CITIES.

Because your military leaders have rejected the thirteen-part surrender
declaration, two momentous events have occurred in the last few days.

The Soviet Union, because of this rejection on the part of the military
has notified your Ambassador Sato that it has declared war on your
nation. Thus, all-powerful countries of the world are now at war with you.

Also, because of your leaders' refusal
to accept the surrender declaration that would enable Japan to honorably
end this useless war, we have employed our atomic bomb.

A single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the
equivalent in explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29s could have
carried on a single mission. Radio Tokyo has told you that with the
first use of this weapon of total destruction, Hiroshima was virtually
destroyed.

Before we use this bomb again and again to destroy every resource of the
military by which they are prolonging this useless war, petition the
emperor now to end the war. Our president has outlined for you the
thirteen consequences of an honorable surrender. We urge that you accept
these consequences and begin the work of building a new, better, and
peace-loving Japan.

Act at once or we shall resolutely employ this bomb and all our other
superior weapons to promptly and forcefully end the war.

EVACUATE YOUR CITIES.

Front caption:

The Hiroshima leaflet

Warning Leaflets

24.7K viewsView UpvotersView Sharers
32 comments from Timothy Linnomme and more
Jim Wilkins
2020-11-19 17:46:47 UTC
"a425couple" wrote in message news:***@news2.newsguy.com...

Prior to Hiroshima ( Aug 1), the US dropped the Lemay leaflet to many
cities. Japanese historians note that the short list of target cities
are not listed on the front of the Lemay leaflet.

I've seen mention of a leaflet I haven't found, which warns that the city it
was dropped on would be bombed some time within the next three days, and to
notice that their air defense was no longer able to stop us.

In his book Rocket Fighter, Me-163 pilot Mano Ziegler comments on
glistening, unpainted American bombers that looked like such tempting
targets, but instead were the bait for death traps.
https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/the-u-s-army-air-forces-strips-its-planes-of-paint/