RAF Vulcan crash..Glenview "78
n***@gmail.com
2014-06-08 23:13:19 UTC
I knew the captain well...Chris Edwards sent me solo in a Scottish Aviation Bulldog of East Midlands Universities Air Squadron the summer before he died. He was a great and fun loving guy..a real tragedy. Paul
n***@gmail.com
2014-06-08 23:13:20 UTC
d***@mac.com
2015-07-04 03:54:46 UTC
Are you talking about Glenview, Illinois, USA? If so, I doubt that there
was anything that might be called a "crash". Vulcans used to visit Chicago
for an airshow every year about that time. With my interest in aviation
(and the fact that up until a month before August 1, 1978 I worked just
outside the NAS Glenview fence) I would have been aware of a crash. That
doesn't mean there wasn't a much more minor incident.
I am trying to find out more about an alleged crash at Glenview, August 1,
1978
involving a RAF Avro Vulcan.
I saw the crash. The crew was practicing a stunt for the next day's airshow. The stunt was a deliberate engine flame-out followed by a stall and after about 3 it seconds the engines were supposed to refire and let the pilot recover from the stall. Thing is, the engines never came back up and the Vulcan fell out of the sky. I was working at a warehouse adjacent the Glenview NAS runway and took my breaks watching Harriers land a hundred feet away and the Vulcan processing the routine. It ws impressive when it worked very sad that it did not 11 Aug, 1978/
c***@gmail.com
2015-11-08 22:31:23 UTC
Post by d***@mac.com
[...]
I worked on 617 , the aircraft you refer to was practicing for the airshow , some children from a local orphanage were meant to see it but were delayed , when they arrived the vulcan had done its rehearshal but for the children they did the rehearsal again, sadly the wing tip clipped an aerial mast which tipped it into the ground ,
I stood by the gravesides and fired my rifle at Scampton , the aircrew are buried at Scampton village churchyard , and when I pass from time to time I stop and say Hi.
Derek Lawrence, Know to the aircrews as Frogg.
Ramsman
2015-11-12 08:40:27 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by d***@mac.com
[...]
The aircraft was XL390 of No. 617 Squadron.
A flypast with two engines at idle was followed by a climb-out and turn
out towards the engines under power. The other two engines had not yet
fully responded to the throttle movements, and the fuselage moving
across the airflow into the intakes caused a momentary blanking of the
live engines. Virtually unpowered, and at an awkward angle of bank, the
bomber was unrecoverable and crashed into a dump close by the airfield.

(From Avro Vulcan, Ken Darling, Crowood Press)
Peter
e***@ntdse.org
2016-04-07 00:10:24 UTC
I grew up in Swainwood in Glenview near the North/South runway of the Glenview Naval Airbase. Saw plenty of Sky Hawks, C130's and other aircraft on a weekly basis. The Vulcan bomber was in town for an air show (thought it was 1977 but could have been 1978). I was mowing the lawn and saw the aircraft overhead. The engine cut but then started up again. I mentioned this to my dad who is an aviation buff. The next day we left for Wisconsin and while listening to the radio, we learned that the same aircraft had crashed in the Northbrook landfill and all crew members died the day after I heard the strange engine dying sound. One of three major crashes during my life here in Glenview/Wilmette. Two others were in Swainwood (1968) and on Dewes St. ( 1990's).
--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message.
j***@jonwelker.com
2018-03-06 02:57:25 UTC
My name is Jon Welker, I was an eyewitness to the Vulcan crash at Glenview Naval air station.
I was westbound on Palatine rd, which is an east west rd at the north end of the airport. The Vulcan was flying northbound east of the airport, it flew over me and created a massive shadow.
It banked to the west just as it got to the north end of the airfield and literally flew into the dump, left wing hitting the ground first and just disintegrated I to the ground. A resulting plume of black smoke ascended into the sky.
As a side note, I had just received my pilots license and this had quite an effect on me.
***@jonwelker.com 847-456-5149
d***@gmail.com
2019-04-30 20:00:06 UTC
Chris Eds sent me solo too..
From St. David's (Brawdy). Good instructor, nice guy.
/Dave
4***@gmail.com
2020-04-18 21:08:01 UTC
You must have lived/worked at another GNAS, if you were unaware of the tragic loss of the aircraft and crew on 11 August, 1978.
h***@gmail.com
2020-08-07 19:29:33 UTC
The anniversary of this sad events is fast approaching and I would like to say first off, to any of the widows, children or relatives communicating on these threads I am deeply sorry for your loss, and as you can see, it’s still haunts me. I think it is appropriate that in that area I would think that a small memorial marker would be set..possibly in the area of the Trestle...
h***@gmail.com
2020-08-07 19:43:32 UTC
I have a question, someone I know had witnessed the accident and said that the plane was flying northbound east of the airport... so along Lehigh Avenue northbound, hit the afterburners and took off at a high rate of speed and at a steep climb heading somewhat northeast toward Techney or the old Caravel restaurant and stalled out further east near or over waukegan rd... is this correct..She said the plane went over her head like a dark cloud but she was on Waukegan Road,??