Before Vietnam - there was good US Military Assistance Group in Greece
2020-07-16 18:19:04 UTC
Before Vietnam - there was good US Military Assistance Group in Greece

Back in 1947, the USA created a Military Assistance Group to aid
Greece and fight off communistic takeover. It was successful! General
James Van Fleet led 250 US military advisors. Sadly, that success
might have led JFK astray!

https://library.cqpress.com/cqresearcher/document.php?id=cqresrre1949020900

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Van_Fleet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Civil_War

From the home of Democracy:
"In a 2008 Gallup poll, Greeks were asked "whether it was better
that the right wing won the Civil War".
43% responded that it was better for Greece that the right wing won,
13% responded that it would have been better if the left had won,
20% responded "neither" and
24% did not respond.

When asked "which side they would have supported had they lived in
that era",
39% responded "neither side",
14% responded "the right wing",
23% "the left wing" ; while
24% did not respond.[69]
Byker
2020-07-16 23:39:44 UTC
Post by a425couple
Before Vietnam - there was good US Military Assistance Group in Greece
Back in 1947, the USA created a Military Assistance Group to aid
Greece and fight off communistic takeover. It was successful!
And just WHY did we get involved in Greece? Because the British we so broke
after the war they became incapable of keeping troops there to preserve law
and order, so they essentially dumped the mess in our lap. Fortunately the
Commies lost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Civil_War

Here's a little tawdry tidbit regarding the UK and Greece and WWII:

"Britain's logic was brutal and perfidious: Prime Minister Winston Churchill
considered the influence of the Communist Party within the broad resistance
movement he had backed throughout the war – National Liberation Front, EAM -
to have grown stronger than he had calculated, sufficient to jeopardise his
plan to return the Greek king to power and keep Communism at bay. In pursuit
of that restoration, he switched allegiances to back the supporters of
Hitler against his own erstwhile allies." https://tinyurl.com/yysn5pff