WW2 C-47 joins Hurricane Dorian relief efforts
David E. Powell
2019-09-07 05:05:14 UTC
Apologies if someone posted this already. It was too cool to share as soon as I heard. A World War II Vintage C-47 transport has been brought in to the Hurricane Dorian relief efforts, flying supplies to the stricken Bahamas Islands.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hurricane-dorian-wwii-plane-to-fly-to-bahamas-to-aid-survivors/ar-AAGULr7?ocid=spartanntp

Jim Wilkins
2019-09-07 10:51:24 UTC
Post by David E. Powell
Apologies if someone posted this already. It was too cool to share
as soon as I heard. A World War II Vintage C-47 transport has been
brought in to the Hurricane Dorian relief efforts, flying supplies
to the stricken Bahamas Islands.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hurricane-dorian-wwii-plane-to-fly-to-bahamas-to-aid-survivors/ar-AAGULr7?ocid=spartanntp
<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hurricane-dorian-wwii-plane-to-fly-to-bahamas-to-aid-survivors/ar-AAGULr7?ocid=spartanntp>
How do its cargo capacity and short field performance compare to
modern aircraft?
Peter Stickney
2019-09-08 17:38:57 UTC
Post by David E. Powell
<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hurricane-dorian-wwii-plane-to-fly-
to-bahamas-to-aid-survivors/ar-AAGULr7?ocid=spartanntp>
How do its cargo capacity and short field performance compare to modern
aircraft?
A DC-3/C-47, about 9500# for a 500 mile out & back, 2900 ft takeoff roll,
5100 ft to clear a 50' obstacle.

A C-130E (Which is early '60s) 35,000 lbs for a 1500 NM out & back, to
ground run about 3200' at full load, 4900' to clear a 50' obstacle.

A C-130J with an equivalent load will have a ground run of 2300', and
clear 50' in about 3700'

I don't have good numbers on the C-17, but it's worth noting that one was
landed on an Icelandic beach in order to transport a killer whale that
was being released into the wild.
--
Pete Stickney
“A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many