Early markings on KC-135: DR. STRANGELOVE
Add Reply
c***@gmail.com
2019-01-22 17:43:24 UTC
Saw DR.STRANGELOVE, one of my all-time faves, for the umpteenth
time the other night. It's not often you get to see this film
on a big screen, as I did. A little TV screen doesn't do
justice to Kubrick's wealth of detail. Admittedly, there are a
lot of technical errors and inaccuracies in DR. STRANGELOVE
(one of my favorites is the shadow of a B-17 on the ground
under a B-52). But I can't quibble about that for a film of
this magnitude.
The title sequence includes the best film I've ever seen of a
KC-135 fuelling a B-52. It's probably USAF stock footage, but
I can't be sure. I couldn't make out any significant markings
53144
It occurred to me that this aircraft is quite probably still in
service. It would be a hoot to notify the current crew about
this. Not only are they probably younger than the aircraft,
they're probably younger than the movie it starred in! DR.
STRANGELOVE was filmed in 1963, but the refuelling sequence
could have been filmed much earlier.
I'm sure somebody in r.a.m.-land has KC-135 tail number info.
I also noticed another marking on the KC-135's tail fin: a
curious geometric shape outline something like a stylized letter
"L" on the starboard and the same but mirror-imaged on the port
side. I remember this same marking on a model of a KC-135 I
made as a kid. It was outlined in red and seemed to be a light
gray color inside. It was large, covering almost the entire
tail fin. Any ideas on what this was?
Please e-mail me; I can't keep up with this group's volume.
--
Michael D. Trout
New York State Talking Book and Braille Library

They were identified as:

(Pilot) Captain Clarence E. Kerr, 38, of Beach Grove, Indiana. He’s buried in Union Chapel Cemetery in St. Paul, Minn.

(C0-Pilot) Captain William D. Leng, 30, of Mt. Vernon, New York. He died two days after his birthday. He’s buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Airman 1st Class Norman E. Ford, age unknown, of Dayton, Ohio.

The aircraft was coming from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.

Sources:

Nashua Telegraph, “Hanscom Aircraft Crash Kills 3; Probe Started”, August 9, 1962

www.findagrave.com, Memorial #54366385, and 49246665.

Aviation Safety Network

Interesting the movie was filmed AFTER the aircraft crashed and was destroyed
Dave Bannerton
2021-03-17 16:50:38 UTC
[...]

my dad was on the aircraft for fuel cell testing zero G