IJN Kaga Found
Add Reply
Scott Kozel
2019-10-20 03:47:40 UTC
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/battle-of-midway-sunken-japanese-aircraft-carrier-kaga-found/
Keith Willshaw
2019-10-21 10:28:56 UTC
Post by Scott Kozel
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/battle-of-midway-sunken-japanese-aircraft-carrier-kaga-found/
Thanks Scott I still havent figured out how the Washington Post
considered that it was discovered by searches around the Hawaiian
Islands but that is journalism for you - only 1500 miles out is pretty
good going.

The Maritime executive site asserts it was found in Hawaii !
https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/sunken-japanese-fleet-carrier-kaga-discovered

As usual USNI News have rather more accurate and informative coverage
complete with video footage.
https://news.usni.org/2019/10/18/video-wreck-discovered-of-wwii-japanese-carrier-key-to-pearl-harbor-attack
Scott Kozel
2019-10-21 12:16:41 UTC
Post by Keith Willshaw
Post by Scott Kozel
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/battle-of-midway-sunken-japanese-aircraft-carrier-kaga-found/
Thanks Scott I still havent figured out how the Washington Post
considered that it was discovered by searches around the Hawaiian
Islands but that is journalism for you - only 1500 miles out is pretty
good going.
The Maritime executive site asserts it was found in Hawaii !
https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/sunken-japanese-fleet-carrier-kaga-discovered
As usual USNI News have rather more accurate and informative coverage
complete with video footage.
https://news.usni.org/2019/10/18/video-wreck-discovered-of-wwii-japanese-carrier-key-to-pearl-harbor-attack
As with the others the exact coordinates are being kept secret.
Although at 18 thousand feet depth who would be able to try to salvage
anything?
Jim Wilkins
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-artifacts-valued-at-200m-head-for-auction/
a425couple
2019-10-21 15:11:51 UTC
Post by Jim Wilkins
Post by Scott Kozel
Post by Keith Willshaw
Post by Scott Kozel
[...]
Obviously, with the lure of a really big payday,
plenty of very ingenieous, inventive, and capable
will come to the effort.
Scott Kozel
2019-10-21 20:04:03 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Jim Wilkins
Post by Scott Kozel
Post by Keith Willshaw
Post by Scott Kozel
[...]
Kaga is about 6 thousand feet deeper. How well would that technology work?

A warship doesn't have the kind of artifacts that the Titanic has,
and has who knows how much unexploded ordinance aboard.
Jim Wilkins
2019-10-21 21:30:53 UTC
Post by Scott Kozel
Post by a425couple
Post by Jim Wilkins
Post by Scott Kozel
Post by Keith Willshaw
Post by Scott Kozel
[...]
Kaga isn't low hanging fruit, but the thieves ARE picking:
https://www.outsideonline.com/2168646/how-does-entire-shipwreck-disappear-bolts-and-all

WW1 German shipwreck steel has been salvaged and used for shielding of
nuclear sensors, since it wasn't contaminated with fallout or
nuke-produced carbon-14 like modern steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel
Keith Willshaw
2019-10-22 09:37:51 UTC
Post by Jim Wilkins
https://www.outsideonline.com/2168646/how-does-entire-shipwreck-disappear-bolts-and-all
WW1 German shipwreck steel has been salvaged and used for shielding of
nuclear sensors, since it wasn't contaminated with fallout or
nuke-produced carbon-14 like modern steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel
The difference is that these ships were scuttled in Scapa Flow and are
not war graves. Scapa Flow has a max depth of 200 ft or so making
conventional salvage relatively easy moreover the Admiralty wanted most
of the wrecks lifted to make it usable as a base.

More reprehensible has the stripping of HMS Prince of Wales, Repulse and
her escorts which are war graves. It is a fine line though. The Tirpitz
was salvaged by the Norwegians after the war but the wreck was an
environmental catastrophe and the Norwegians recovered what bodies they
could find for burial.
Scott Kozel
2019-10-22 10:15:16 UTC
Were some of the destroyers sunk in that action?
Keith Willshaw
2019-10-26 18:29:14 UTC
Post by Scott Kozel
Post by Keith Willshaw
More reprehensible has the stripping of HMS Prince of Wales, Repulse and
her escorts which are war graves.
Were some of the destroyers sunk in that action?
Not during that action but HMS Electra and HMS Encounter were sunk in
the same campaign in the seond battle of the Java sea long with HMS
Exeter while HMAS Vampire was sunk off Ceylon.

Jeff Crowell
2019-10-22 13:17:33 UTC
Post by Keith Willshaw
Thanks Scott I still havent figured out how the Washington Post
considered that it was discovered by searches around the Hawaiian
Islands but that is journalism for you - only 1500 miles out is pretty
good going.
Hi, Keith.

I may be worng, but isn't Midway the tail (head?) end of the Hawaiian Archipelago?

Jeff
CPU ergo sum.
Scott Kozel
2019-10-23 02:23:25 UTC
Post by Jeff Crowell
Post by Keith Willshaw
Thanks Scott I still havent figured out how the Washington Post
considered that it was discovered by searches around the Hawaiian
Islands but that is journalism for you - only 1500 miles out is pretty
good going.
Hi, Keith.
I may be worng, but isn't Midway the tail (head?) end of the Hawaiian Archipelago?
Some of the news articles are a bit confusing, but it appears that they
found Akagi two days after they found Kaga.
Scott Kozel
2019-10-23 04:00:18 UTC
Post by Scott Kozel
Post by Jeff Crowell
Post by Keith Willshaw
Thanks Scott I still havent figured out how the Washington Post
considered that it was discovered by searches around the Hawaiian
Islands but that is journalism for you - only 1500 miles out is pretty
good going.
Hi, Keith.
I may be worng, but isn't Midway the tail (head?) end of the Hawaiian Archipelago?
Some of the news articles are a bit confusing, but it appears that they
found Akagi two days after they found Kaga.
Battle of Midway: World War Two Japanese carrier wrecks found
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50124313

One ship, the Kaga, was discovered last week, while wreckage from another
carrier, Akagi, was found on Sunday.
Dean Markley
2019-10-23 12:03:06 UTC
Post by Jeff Crowell
Post by Keith Willshaw
Thanks Scott I still havent figured out how the Washington Post
considered that it was discovered by searches around the Hawaiian
Islands but that is journalism for you - only 1500 miles out is pretty
good going.
Hi, Keith.
I may be worng, but isn't Midway the tail (head?) end of the Hawaiian Archipelago?
Jeff
--
CPU ergo sum.
Midway is indeed part of the Hawaiian archipelago geographically.