I had Lima Beans & Ham recently. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
2019-11-28 19:36:02 UTC
I do not know what my earliest memories of the meal
Lima Beans and Ham are.
But certainly, I, and many of us, had them in our
military C-Rats.

In the US Marine Corps while on Field exercises, or
while preparing to load up to go out, they would
open a big box (12 meals? / 16?) with labels hidden,
and pass them out, totally randomly. You got what
you got. But sometimes trading occured. I liked
the ham and lima beans meal.

And for year after I would often enough have it
in cans from grocery store (Dennison's or Nalley??)
Then they stopped. I guess tastes change.
But my wife nicely made it from scratch for us.
It was GOOD!
a425couple
2019-11-28 19:39:13 UTC
Post by a425couple
I do not know what my earliest memories of the meal
Lima Beans and Ham are.
But certainly, I, and many of us, had them in our
military C-Rats.
In the US Marine Corps while on Field exercises, or
while preparing to load up to go out, they would
open a big box (12 meals? / 16?) with labels hidden,
and pass them out, totally randomly.  You got what
you got.  But sometimes trading occured.  I liked
the ham and lima beans meal.
And for year after I would often enough have it
in cans from grocery store (Dennison's or Nalley??)
Then they stopped.  I guess tastes change.
But my wife nicely made it from scratch for us.
It was GOOD!
and here is an ode to it!
from
https://allpoetry.com/poem/14142198-Ode-to-Dennisons-Lima-Beans-and-Ham-by-Jon-Nakapalau

Ode to Dennison's Lima Beans and Ham
with bread an butter

my favorite 'canned' meal
as a kid I would ask for it every other day

soup and a meal
all in one bowl

watching creature features
with a brimming bowl

on a late saturday night
the whole can for me

countless comics
read while enjoying some

coming home from grade school
on a cold winter day

a 'home run' meal
any lunchtime

asked for whenever mom went shopping
then one day

gone
just like that

a lesson to remember
as I went through life

remember to keep
things in the pantry

of kitchen and of life.

Still remember this favorite of mine! © a year ago, Jon Nakapalau humor
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Folks, I've met his wife before. He's actually a nice guy.
%
2019-11-29 18:03:31 UTC
.

and then up your wazoo