I just watched the ISS pass overhead (Seattle area)
2019-10-06 02:35:48 UTC
I just watched the ISS pass overhead (Seattle area)
The International Space Station, passed over Seattle
area pretty directly from West to East,
from 7:16 to about 7:22 Pacific Time (daylight savings).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station

Length 51.0 m (167.3 ft)[1]
Width 109.0 m (357.5 ft)[1]
Pressurised volume 915.6 m3 (32,333 cu ft)[1]

Perigee altitude 408 km (253.5 mi) AMSL[2]

Orbital speed 7.66 km/s[2]
(27,600 km/h; 17,100 mph)
Orbital period 92.68 minutes[2]
Orbits per day 15.54[2]
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
Did you take all these measurements from your ground radar station?
David E. Powell
2019-10-08 02:36:03 UTC
Post by a425couple
I just watched the ISS pass overhead (Seattle area)
The International Space Station, passed over Seattle
area pretty directly from West to East,
from 7:16 to about 7:22 Pacific Time (daylight savings).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station
Length 51.0 m (167.3 ft)[1]
Width 109.0 m (357.5 ft)[1]
Pressurised volume 915.6 m3 (32,333 cu ft)[1]
Perigee altitude 408 km (253.5 mi) AMSL[2]
Orbital speed 7.66 km/s[2]
(27,600 km/h; 17,100 mph)
Orbital period 92.68 minutes[2]
Orbits per day 15.54[2]
It's pretty neat. With a clear sky, the naked eye can catch it sometimes, quite a treat to see it go over :)

Well done on the observation, I recommend folks look up the page and check the orbit, and see if they can catch a glimpse.
a425couple
2019-10-08 19:53:55 UTC
Post by David E. Powell
Post by a425couple
I just watched the ISS pass overhead (Seattle area)
The International Space Station, passed over Seattle
area pretty directly from West to East,
from 7:16 to about 7:22 Pacific Time (daylight savings).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Space_Station
Length 51.0 m (167.3 ft)[1]
Width 109.0 m (357.5 ft)[1]
Pressurised volume 915.6 m3 (32,333 cu ft)[1]
Perigee altitude 408 km (253.5 mi) AMSL[2]
Orbital speed 7.66 km/s[2]
(27,600 km/h; 17,100 mph)
Orbital period 92.68 minutes[2]
Orbits per day 15.54[2]
It's pretty neat. With a clear sky, the naked eye can catch it sometimes, quite a treat to see it go over :)
Yes, in a clear, no clouds sky, it was by far the brightest
object. Much brighter than any star.
Scott Kozel
2019-10-08 22:49:09 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by David E. Powell
Well done on the observation, I recommend folks look up the page and check
the orbit, and see if they can catch a glimpse.
Came over Richmond, VA at about 8:00 pm on Sept. 20th.

About as bright as Jupiter, which was visible, and I made the comparison.

Viewed the ISS thru 15x binoculars, but could not make out any detail.
Just a bright object that lit up the inside of the optics.
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2019-10-09 09:56:52 UTC
Post by Scott Kozel
Came over Richmond, VA at about 8:00 pm on Sept. 20th.
About as bright as Jupiter, which was visible, and I made the comparison.
Viewed the ISS thru 15x binoculars, but could not make out any detail.
Just a bright object that lit up the inside of the optics.
I was doing sit-ups with First Officer Spock when it appeared our the starbird viewscreen, like a Klingon War Burd decloaking!
Then Spock and I kissed.