Radar Bomb Scoring
b***@gmail.com
2016-04-19 04:48:38 UTC
Does the Air Force still use RBS sites for training?
b***@gmail.com
2016-04-19 05:10:32 UTC
I worked at seven RBS sites and one Combat Skyspot site during my time in
SAC. I wonder if a current site could allow a "visitor" for a tour? Any idea
how to go about it?
Jim
At least they did up to few month ago. BUFFDRVR mentioned a few
he still visited. Of course, unless they changed the
designation back the terminology Radar Bomb Scoring (RBS) has
been replaced by Strategic Training Range (STR). Of course that
goes back to the SAC days. Maybe ACC has yet another new name.
David
tlq-11 jammer
I was stationed at Det.1 LaJunta(Colorado) bomb plot 1975-78.Pete Field was our support base.I just read on the internet that 1cevg was abolished in 1989.GD was developing the MUTES and T1 at our site when I got out in 1978.I was MPS-9(Q2)operator most of the time.We had the 77 india band as our primary tracking radar and had a tlq-11 jammer.We ran 2 shifts the whole time and ran a hell of a lot of aircraft.Mostly B52,F4,FB-111,Kc-135 and an occasional Vulcan(canadian).I am really surprised they did away with these sites because the training provided was invaluable.
s***@gmail.com
2019-01-14 21:05:18 UTC
Does the Air Force still use RBS sites for training?
I served at the Amarillo AFB RBS site from January, 1956 to November, 1958. I feel like a fish out of water after reading that RBS is now called "Strategic Training Range." We used a SCR-584 set, plus console. Since I left the service, I have always wanted to visit an RBS/STR site to see what changes have been made. Does anyone know if this is possible; if so, would the Tonopah (Nevada) site (probably defunct by now) be available? Clearance needed, etc.?
h***@gmail.com
2019-12-07 01:46:41 UTC
Does the Air Force still use RBS sites for training?
Sorry could not find the entry for this...I was at PHX Bomb Plot 1959 then we moved to Hastings so there until 1961 when got out of the USAF. I was mainly used as MPS-9 Radar Op back up to the MSQ-1 which had problems had a great Det CO ( Maj. Bills ). My tech usefulness was about limited to plugging
in the local TV so Radar Op was fine! Previous to RBS was at K53 Korea Det 10 1st Shoran Beacon Sqdn which was a total wasted year. Ended up in 61 with the FAA and then finally flying airplanes both mil/civilian.
RBS..recall scoring a B-58 once in 61 needed to be quick if a manual search/lock on which it was! Good people.
h***@gmail.com
2019-12-07 01:48:53 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Does the Air Force still use RBS sites for training?
Sorry could not find the entry for this...I was at PHX Bomb Plot 1959 then we moved to Hastings so there until 1961 when got out of the USAF. I was mainly used as MPS-9 Radar Op back up to the MSQ-1 which had problems had a great Det CO ( Maj. Bills ). My tech usefulness was about limited to plugging
in the local TV so Radar Op was fine! Previous to RBS was at K53 Korea Det 10 1st Shoran Beacon Sqdn which was a total wasted year. Ended up in 61 with the FAA and then finally flying airplanes both mil/civilian.
RBS..recall scoring a B-58 once in 61 needed to be quick if a manual search/lock on which it was! Good people.
PS..think it was Det 7 in Korea. Long time ago!
Bob B.