Wallace, Idaho is the "Center of the Universe"
Add Reply
a425couple
2024-09-25 17:28:22 UTC
Well, OK then. I'm glad that is settled.

AI Overview
Learn more

According to popular lore, the "Center of the Universe" is located in
Wallace, Idaho. This designation is marked by a manhole cover at the
intersection of Bank and Sixth Streets in the town.
Key points about this claim:
Mayor's proclamation:
The mayor of Wallace officially declared the town as the "Center of the
Universe" in 2004.
"Theory of Probabilism":
The proclamation was based on the idea that since no one could prove
Wallace wasn't the center, then it must be.
Manhole cover landmark:
The exact "center" is marked by a manhole cover with the words "Center
of the Universe" inscribed on it.
Center of the Universe: Wallace - Visit Idaho
In 2004, the Mayor proclaimed the city of Wallace, Idaho to be the
center of the universe (because it can't be proven otherwise).

Visit Idaho
Center of the Universe, Wallace Idaho
In the heart of Wallace, Idaho you will find the Center of the Universe.
On the corner of Bank and Sixth Street of our Historic Mi...

Visit Wallace Idaho
City of Wallace, Idaho | The Center of the Universe
Wallace is known as the Silver Capital of the World. Wallace was the hub
of the Silver Valley where 21% of the world's silver was ...

City of Wallace, Idaho (.gov)
Show all
Show more
Center of the Universe, Wallace Idaho - Visit Wallace Idaho
In the heart of Wallace, Idaho you will find the Center of the Universe.
On the corner of Bank and Sixth Street of our Historic Mining town you
will find our landmark location of the slightly off-center manhole cover
that holds the Center of the Universe monument. Here you will find the
Center of the Universe.
Jim Wilkins
2024-09-26 11:33:56 UTC
"a425couple" wrote in message news:XKXIO.192270$***@fx11.iad...

According to popular lore, the "Center of the Universe" is located in
Wallace, Idaho. ...

-----------------------------------
When I was at the Army school at Fort Monmouth I heard New Jersey called the
Armpit of America. It has the location if Long Island is the arm, and the
reek when passing through Elizabeth.
a425couple
2024-09-27 17:29:42 UTC
Post by a425couple
According to popular lore, the "Center of the Universe" is located in
Wallace, Idaho. ...
-----------------------------------
When I was at the Army school at Fort Monmouth I heard New Jersey
called the Armpit of America. It has the location if Long Island is the
arm, and the reek when passing through Elizabeth.

Fair enough.
If you want a nomination for "Asshole of the World", I'd suggest
- The Butte Pit = open pit mine is one mile (1.6 km) long by one-half
mile (800 m) wide, with an approximate maximum depth of 1,780 feet (540
m). Once they stopped mining, they stopped pumping water out,
so the contaminated water has risen to 900' deep. Stand on the
brink, and it is a long way down (900') to the water surface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Pit

Through the wonders of modern technology, you can use
Google Maps, street view, to see at the Berkeley Pit Viewing stand.
In real life, you have to drive through Butte, find the desolated
parking lot next to a huge pile of tailings, walk through
a dark culvert, and stand on the edge of the view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.0116889,-112.517695,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNMgBpeCMXa9hY-3qOv1IAcxqQx5WJC_S337hwu!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNMgBpeCMXa9hY-3qOv1IAcxqQx5WJC_S337hwu%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya104.53485-ro-0-fo100!7i5376!8i2688!5m1!1e2?coh=205409&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkyMy4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D
Kualinar
2024-09-26 16:33:57 UTC
[...]

So, according to the mayor of Wallace, the Centre of the Universe
continually move around.
It moves due to Earth's rotation.
It moves due to the orbital movement of the Earth around the Sun.
It moves due to the orbital motion of the Sun within the Milky Way.
It moves due to the movement of the Milky Way within the Local Group.
It moves due to the movement of the Local Group toward The Great
Attractor.
Each one of those actually disprove that claim.

It's pretty hard to take that claim seriously.